Re: Suggestion to add "spacing between sentences" to CSS3 Line WD

From: (wrong string) äper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:50:38 +0100
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Shelby Moore" <shelby@coolpage.com>

Shelby Moore:

> Suggest the CSS3 deal with the controversy over whether to use a double or
> single space between sentences:

Why not &emsp; (or is it &ensp;)? You are setting most other spaces
yourself, too.

> However, I am reasonably confident this issue has not been handled yet

AFAICS yes.

> Suggest CSS3 specify the spacing between sentences.

The idea isn't all that bad, but sentences are not marked up. At least not
in HTML.

How do you automatically distinguish between a dot after a sentence and one
after an abbreviation (in a language without <abbr/>) or one after an
ordinal number?

> Ideally this setting
> would be (non-linearly?) proportional to the resolution of the media,

Wouldn't it be proportional to the font-size? Like em and en spaces are.

> My practical advice (http://coolpagehelp.com/developer4.html) to use
> double space, is based on the lack of reliable way to insure that
sentences
> will be scannable (quickly delimited by eye) on all ranges of devices.

Double space after "." looks as wrong as no spaces around em/en dashes or
the 7 bit equivalent "--". That's from a German POV where other typography
laws apply.

Christoph Päper