Re: CSS parser recovery

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 14:27:20 +0100 (MET)
cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, David Woolley wrote:

> The subject of this thread is part of the confusion.  The rules aren't
> about error recovery but about forward compatibility; they are intended
> to be applied to valid future versions of CSS, so that current renderers
> fail in a minimally degraded way, not to invalid current ones.

Indeed.

I had started to write a long e-mail about the three stages of CSS parsing
(tokenization, generic CSS, specific CSS1/2/3/SVG/Mobile/etc. parsing) and
how the rules for ignoring tokens only apply to the last stage, but David
Woolley stated it much better. A file that fails the generic CSS grammar
is simply not CSS and the spec says nothing about that case.

(Whether it should is a whole different debate.)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA