Re: CSS2.1: Unresolved Table Issues

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, fantasai wrote:

> Over-constrained Table Rows
> ---------------------------
>
>   If a table row is over-constrained (all widths, paddings, and
>   borders are specified, including the table width), what gives?
>   There's no margin on the table cells.

Could you give an example of this? I don't think a table row can ever be
over constrained, since it gets its width directly from the table and the
cells, but in my experience you are rarely wrong about errors in the spec,
so I'm sure I missed something...

> Missing Case for Border Conflict Resolution
>
>   | 4. If border styles differ only in color, then a style set on a
>   |    cell wins over one on a row, which wins over a row group, column,
>   |    column group and, lastly, table.
>
>   What happens if the border styles are both set on individual cells?

Personally, I'd hope document order would win in such an ambiguous
situation.

> Ambiguous Table Backgrounds
> ---------------------------
>
>   Too long and complicated to repeat here. See [3]
>
>   CSS2.1 Section: 17

You'll be glad to know that the WG has, in principle, decided to take the
errata suggested at the bottom of:
   http://fantasai.tripod.com/www-style/2002/table-backgrounds/
...with minor editorial changes for clarity.

> [...]

I have no opinion of knowledge about the other issues, so they are still
open. (I vaguely try to avoid table-related issues...) Official replies to
all the issues in your message should appear in the CSS 2.1 disposition of
comments.