Re: Comments on CSS3 Fonts module

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Peter Sheerin wrote:

> I believe that the fonts module must specify a suggested behavior
> when faced with a document that specifies a character it can not
> render because no glyph is available.

I agree.

> Also, the set of characters specified in the current HTML DTDs is
> not really sufficient to display many important characters, [...]

HTML4 references ISO10646 which means it has every UNICODE character.
Ditto XML. Do you want HTML to have actual _named entities_ for all
16000+ characters? That simply doesn't scale.

Most modern UAs support any UNICODE character, so long as they have a
font for it.

> I also believe that the possible values for font-style should more
> closely match those available for fonts--which often have variations
> such as "heavy" in addition to "italic".

'font-weight' covers the "heavy" versions already.