Re: CSS 2.1 WD and non-CSS presentational hints

On Wednesday, August 28, 2002, 5:05:18 PM, Stuart wrote:

SB> How about this:

SB> "Any aspect of the markup which explicitly indicates a preferred
SB> rendering, AND does not carry any other semantics".

Yes, that is a lot clearer.

SB> the usual suspects.

The trouble with those is that their rendering semantics are often not
clearly defined. So getting "the same rendering" is not always easy.
But yes, it would cover those,and it would cover for example stuff
produced by XSLT.

SB> <em> and <strong> indicate a preferred rendering, but they do so
SB> *implicitly* due to historical use, rather than *explicitly* as required
SB> by the proposed definition. Also, they carry additional semantics: emphasis.

Yes.

SB> We might need an explicit exemption for the style= attribute, which
SB> otherwise would qualify based on this definition,

good catch, all the more so since CSS 2.1 proposes to give it the
highest possible specificity thus disabling all possible restyling
further down the line.

SB> and that would be
SB> wrong. Perhaps "Document languages may provide mechanisms for explicitly
SB> including CSS stylesheets within the document, such as HTML's "style="
SB> attribute. Such mechanisms are NOT considered 'non-CSS presentational
SB> hints'."

Yes, that would be a useful clarification.