Flipping backgrounds

From: Tom Gilder <tom@tom.me.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:22:27 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Yay, yet another idea from me.

I've just thinking of how CSS3 could be improved to allow things like
curved corners on elements (although, yes, there's border-radius - but
that doesn't really allow for every effect).

Along with wanting a way to apply more than one background-image to an
element, I'd love to see a background-flip property. Its CSS
definition could looks something like this:

       Name: background-flip
      Value: no-flip | flip-x | flip-y | flip-both
    Initial: no-flip
 Applies to: all elements
  Inherited: no
Percentages: N/A
      Media: visual

When applied, it would flip the background image vertically,
horizontally or both. This could allow for fewer image downloads,
especially when doing effects such as rounded corners.

Cheers
--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/