Re: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue? [was: Draft TAG Finding:...]

At 8:13 AM +0300 8/21/02, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>Would you consider replying to you in Chinese to be a successful
>instance of human communication?

It's not a yes-or-no answer. Replying to me in Chinese would be more
successful than not replying to me at all. It would be less
successful than replying to me in French. It would be much less
successful than replying to me in English.

The Web is a many-to-many communications medium. Users speak
different languages, have browsers with different features, have
different levels of visual and auditory acuity, have different
backgrounds and contexts in which they interpret information, have
different connection speeds and bandwidths, and more. Each and every
page on the Web will be more or less accessible to particular people.
Decisions made that make a page more accessible to one class of
people may well make it less accessible to another class.

We cannot talk about accessibility (and here I mean accessibility for
everyone, not just people with physical handicaps) as if it's a yes
or no question. There are some actions we can take that make the web
more accessible for almost everyone (e.g. not encoding text in GIF
images) and that have very few tradeoffs. But there are many more
choices that assist one class of people while impairing another class
of people (e.g. writing in English or Chinese).

To seriously consider issues of accessibility (and many other
topics), you need to ask at least four questions:

1. Who does this help?
2. How much does this help them?
3. Who does this harm?
4. How much does it harm them?

Considering only questions 1 and 2 while ignoring questions 3 and 4
(or vice versa) makes for good polemics but bad policy.