"Separation of Content from Presentation"

At 6:12 PM -0400 8/19/02, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>At 2:46 PM -0700 8/19/02, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>>You actually expect a UA to parse the English tag name "headline" and then
>>conclude it is a header, and then make similar conclusions for all other
>>valid XML tag names?
>
>Actually no. I expect it to look at the layout of the page and
>notice certain characteristics that strongly suggest certain things
>are headlines. I expect this will probably be done using some form
>of adaptive algorithms, rather than the deterministic ones we're
>accustomed to.

Okay, so you are saying that presentation (e.g. CSS) should be used to
define the meaning of content, rather than being encoded in the markup?

Or in both?

This goes counter to my understanding of how CSS and XML (and other
Web languages) are meant to function.  Can you please explain more about
this theory of yours, and describe how it benefits those with special
needs?  At first pass, it sounds like you are arguing that <font> tags
instead of <h1> tags in HTML were the way to go, roughly speaking.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com
Kynn on Web Accessibility ->>          http://kynn.com/+sitepoint