Re: What are Semantics? (Was: Serving generic XML)

On 8/19/02 1:52 PM, "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> At 1:29 PM -0700 8/19/02, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>

>> If you make an arbitrary XML document, you cannot expect a browser to
>> determine that <headline> is supposed to be "a header" -- even if you
>> have visual presentation added on (via styles) which show that.
>
> Ah, but I can expect exactly that. And if a browser fails to do so
> then I say this is a flawed browser,

LOL!

You actually expect a UA to parse the English tag name "headline" and then
conclude it is a header, and then make similar conclusions for all other
valid XML tag names?

This is because unambiguously parsing English and assigning meaning to
English words is a solved problem right?

Please do some homework on the state of AI and Natural Language Processing
before making such ridiculous assertions.

And never mind the fact that 90%+ folks in the world don't speak English.
Add "i18n" reading to your homework as well.

> especially when it comes to
> accessibility.

Previously in this thread you have said several provably false things
regarding accessibility.  If you wish to add value regarding accessibility,
please add the following reading materials to your homework:

 http://www.w3.org/WAI/
 http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT
 http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10
 http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG10

and the documents linked from:
 http://www.w3.org/WAI/Resources/

> If humans can recognize certain visual layouts as
> headers, then I think we should teach our computers to recognize them
> too.

This is because computer vision is a solved problem right?  Again, more AI
reading would help here, as I don't think you understand where the state of
the art is, nor how far it has to go.

Tantek