Re: CSS 2.1 WD and non-CSS presentational hints

On Monday 2002-08-19 16:38 -0400, fantasai wrote:
> Asleep?
> [no response]
> *lights off*
> [exit stage left]

You've convinced me that this change is bad.

However, I've yet to see a good argument that CSS2.0 is interoperably
implementable, as written.  We need a much clearer definition of
"non-CSS presentational hint".  Do we define it as any stylistic
suggestion in the markup that is caused by the presence of an attribute
rather than the presence of an element?  That might work well for HTML,
but does it make sense for things like SVG?  Do we instead define it as
any stylistic suggestion associated with markup that has a
clearly-defined presentational purpose?  That might work well for HTML
as written, but the meaning doesn't make much sense given the
implementation of HTML on the web today.

-David

--
L. David Baron        <URL: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >