Re: Serving generic XML (was: storing info in XSL-FO: new issue?)

At 3:41 PM -0400 8/19/02, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>I think the WAI perspective may be far too narrow. If what's been
>said here is representative, their goal seems to be to severely
>limit the range of expression used on the web to a small, predefined
>vocabulary. This is doomed to fail. Most people do not think like
>the WAI wants them to think. They do not write like the WAI wants
>them to write. They never have and they never will.

Right, because most Web authors are like you, and say "fuck the blind!"

That's why WAI will be ignored, because the vast majority of Web
developers are ignorant, uncaring, and proud of being so.

>The WAI approach is to change billions of web pages and millions of
>authors. Wouldn't it be easier to change a few pieces of software to
>actually understand the data that is out there? A technological
>solution (building better special-needs browsers) would be more
>effective than a social one.

See, this is where you are simply continuing to show your ignorance.  The
idea that some magical special needs software can solve all the problems
is one of the big myths of Web accessibility.  "Oh, it's not our problem,
some non-existent software which, by definition, can't do the job, will
come along and solve everything!"

Software such as you describe simply can't be written, especially not
with arbitrary XML spilling over the Web.  Yes, I know, "fuck the
blind" and all, they don't deserve to access the Web anyway.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com
Kynn on Web Accessibility ->>          http://kynn.com/+sitepoint