Re: Float overflowing behavior!

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:00:55 -0400
To: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

> 1) writing a Web page using only <span>s and <div>s
> what's wrong with that?

Nothing, until someone can't load your CSS. Then your document becomes
nearly devoid of meaning, structure, and comprehensibility.

> 4) saying width:100% when you mean width:auto
> How do you *know* what people *mean*? Do you have CrystalBall?

I have yet to see a "CSS layout" in which someone _wanted_ a "width:
100%" anything; usually the present of paddings and borders makes such
constructs overflow their parents and look ugly (except in IE/Windows).

> Using 'width:auto' when you need div taking all width, is stupid, STUPID
> approach!

Would you care to clarify this point of view?  Why is this stupid?

> If W3C designed bad specification, or offers bad validation tools- that's the
> problem of W3C, not of web authors!

The W3C offers syntax validation tools.  It does not offer symantic
validation tools.  This is precisely the difference between
spell-checking/grammar-checking your document and having a trained
editor give it a thorough working-over.

Your complaint about validation tools is akin to someone complaining
that their C compiler will not let them add together two strings but
will happily let them write code that results in a runtime
divide-by-zero....  Granted, it would be nice to have something that
catches the logic (as opposed to syntax) error, but that is not the job
of the _compiler_.

What you're really looking for here is not a validator, but a
"lint"-like program for CSS (and weblint _did_ use to exist for HTML at
some point; not sure what the state of it is now).

Boris
--
Ray's Rule of Precision:
   Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut