Re: CSS 2.1 WD and non-CSS presentational hints

From: Coises <Randy@Coises.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 02:25:44 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

[Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:15:06 +0400] Vadim Plessky:
>If you have ready self-explaining testcase, I can test it in Konqueror and
>Mozilla, and provide input to you.
>May be, this will clarify a lot of things. :-)

I wrote this as a test case for an Opera bug, but it will also distinguish
between CSS 2 and CSS 2.1 behavior.

1. Download <http://www.coises.com/operabug/oppreced.css>.

2. View <http://www.coises.com/operabug/oppreced.htm> with and without the
file downloaded in step 1 as user CSS (leave document style sheets and
other presentational hints enabled in both cases).

In a correct CSS 2 implementation, the page will be identical with and
without the user CSS.  In a CSS 2.1 implementation, lines without document
CSS rules (and the background) will differ with and without the user CSS.

If the last lines change from magenta to aqua when the user CSS is applied
(as it does in Opera), the user agent is (probably) failing to give source
priority over specificity.
--
Randall Joseph Fellmy aka Randy@Coises.com