Re: Float overflowing behavior

From: Tom Gilder <tom@tom.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:00:22 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, 4:32:08 PM, you wrote:
> Following this thread I see a lot of posts containg examples for which the
> changed behaviour of a float is handy / needed. But it lacks cases that
> proves why the current behaviour is useful.

Both behaviors can be useful - see
<http://tom.me.uk/2002/8/css-float-example.html> for an example of why the
current float spec can be handy.

Some people have suggested totally changing the spec, which I don't consider to
be an option. Adding a simple new property would be enough.

Also, just a quick note, I made a mistake in my original proposal:

  "Name: float-overflow, Value: contain | visible, Initial: visible"

...should have been...

  "Name: float-overflow, Value: contain | overflow, Initial: overflow"

...I was thinking along the lines of making the property similar to the current
overflow property, but "visible" makes no sense used in this context :)

Also, just to make it clear, I believe it would make more sense for this
property to be applied to a *parent* of the floats, and not the actual float
itself (although, I'm not entirely sure on that one - does it make sense to have
some floats overflowing and some contained? And, should this hypothetical
property be inherited or not?).

Cheers
--
Tom Gilder