Re: Why is the style tag restricted to the head?

>From: Coises <Randy@Coises.com>
>[Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:03:01 -0500] Jeremy Dunck:
> >What's the benefit?
>
>The ability to localize (almost) everything necessary to display
>some particular segment of a page in one place.
>
>There's this persistent desire to controvert reality by insisting that
>presentation is independent of, and hence can be separated from, content.
>
>Look at a few real web pages.  Often as not, the presentation *is*
>(a significant part of) the content. All the purist cries that can be
>mustered will not make it otherwise.

The history of poor browser implementations, the commercialization of HTML
to be a presentational language, the lack of tools supporting the semantic
web, and the ignorance of people developing for the web, do not amount to
proof that the semantic web is impossible.

Nor should we surrender the power that the web can grant us, simply for
small matters of short-term convenience.

I am not arguing against art and expression on the web.  I am arguing for
some ground rules that can allow the web (and tools to support it) to
flourish.

Call me a purist, but I'm not a defeatist.

  -Jeremy