Re: Why is the style tag restricted to the head?

From: Joshua Prowse <prowsej@fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:22:29 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>

The following excerpt works in current browsers: (browsers apply the correct
[green] style because of the cascade)

    <head>
    </head>

The following excerpt also works in current browsers:

        <script type="text/javascript">
        document.getElementById('tOne').style.color = "green";
        </script>

So why can't I do this:

        #tOne {color:green;}

Someone replied stating that this would force browsers to keep a representation
of the document in memory.  It would also result in flashing content when the
browser loads content and then comes across another <style> element later in the
document that causes previous content to have to be redrawn.  Those are
disadvantages.

The main reason that I'd like something like this is because:
- I don't have access to the <head> of my documents.  For example, when I'm
posting on a UBB-style bulletin board or when I'm using a blogger tool I'd like
to be able to modify document style without being restricted to inline style=""
elements that don't allow for selectors.
- and Javascript syntax is clumsy for changing styles