Re: Why is the style tag restricted to the head?

From: Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 16:53:14 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: "Joshua Prowse" <prowsej@fastmail.fm>

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:04:09 -0400, you wrote:

>What reason is there for restricting the style tag to the head of the document?
>Why not allow it anywhere in the document so that <style> tags that are placed
>lower override earlier ones?

For HTML it should not even have been allowed in the HEAD element.
A STYLE element "pollutes" a document instance with a lot of CDATA
content that is absolutely best placed elsewhere.

As it seems now, we do have a single chance to come up with a totally
clean definition of structural markup as in XHTML2, lets not blow that
chance to finally separate document structure from presentational
suggestions.

I for one have decided to participate in the XHTML2 definition process
(constructively this time, you will all be amazed with what I can do
when I put that side of me to it :) and one of my first suggestions
will be to eliminate the STYLE element all together from the specs.

Presentational suggestions shall be used by reference only, not
through direct inclusion.

Which further leads me to say that what you originally asked for can
easily be achieved with LINK'ed stylesheets and a proper use of the
CSS cascade rules.

--
Rex