Re: New drafts, CSS 2.1, css3-webfonts, css3-fonts, css3-background, css3-ui

On 8/5/02 7:41 PM, "Coises" <Randy@Coises.com> wrote:

> [Mon, 05 Aug 2002 17:33:48 -0700] Tantek Çelik:
>> it is impossible to break
>> backwards-compatibility with something that hasn't been implemented
>
> That statement is true; but "hasn't been implemented" is not true
> of some of the things which it is proposed to change or drop.
>
> Two examples off the top of my head:
>  * Weight of non-CSS presentational hints --- changed, but supported
>    as per CSS 2 in (at least) Internet Explorer 5 and 6.

I believe that CSS2.1 documents what has been implemented, not just in
IE5&6, but also in other browsers as well.

>  * Named counters --- dropped, but supported in (at least) Opera 5 and 6.

The group has reconsidered counters and they will be in the next draft.
Hopefully we will find a second compliant interoperable implementation by
the end of the CR period so that counters can successfully exit CR.

Thanks,

Tantek