W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > April 2002

How about calling the "absolute" units "physical"?

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@niksula.hut.fi>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:01:13 +0300
To: www-style@w3.org
Message-Id: <F734566E-4D5C-11D6-AFF9-003065B8CF0E@niksula.hut.fi>
The CSS specs including the CSS3 "Values and Units" WD categorizes 
pc, pt, mm, in and cm as "absolute" units.[1] It seems to me that the 
use of the word "absolute" confuses people who tend to think that 
pixels are absolute in the context of computer graphics.

How about calling mm, cm, pt, pc and in "physical units", %, ex and 
em "relative units" and px "the pixel unit"? That way the confusion 
caused by different interpretations of what is "absolute" could be 

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-values-20010713/#lengths

Henri Sivonen
Received on Thursday, 11 April 2002 11:01:46 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:27:01 UTC