Re: css layout should be symmetrical

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:09:36 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 17:06:28 +0100, Ian Hickson wrote:
>History? Nobody is changing history.

The CSS 2 [and any other such] Recommendation is essentially a
historical document, as evidenced by the separate errata and
established procedures for revision.

>Nothing in CSS affects the semantics [1] of anything in any
>document. CSS is
>purely a formatting language.

I know what semantics means.  What I don't understand is why the Rec.
says "The following 'display' values assign table semantics to an
arbitrary element:" and you say that "Nothing in CSS affects the
semantics of anything".  Those two statements are diametrically

For the record, the published CSS 2 Recommendation is the
authoritative definition of this technology (to the extent that it is
definitive; we are all only too aware of its many vagueries and
shortcomings), not your opinion.

What you say contradicts the Recommendation.  So there are several

1) The Rec. contains an error (says something that no one really
-- If this is the case then the error must be corrected/documented
and the actual situation clearly exposed.

2) The Rec. does not contain an error, but defines a behavior that is
now considered undesirable or a mistake in judgement.
-- If this is the case it would seem to necessitate a revision or a
new version of the Rec. to alter the undesirable behavior.

3) The Rec. contains neither an error nor a behavior which has
subsequently been deemed undesirable.
-- If this is the case, then your statements are just wrong.

So what is the actual situation?

On Sun, 07 Apr 2002 18:52:50 +0200, Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
>Stylesheets affects formatting and/or transformations of a marked up
>documents content only, they can _not_ add semantics to markup.

Unfortunately that is _not_ what the spec. _says_.