Re: Comparing style sheet languages (was: font size)

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 02:47:50 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Ian Hickson:

 > >>That can be done in CSS:
 > >
 > >   BLOCKQUOTE {
 > >      position: absolute;
 > >      left: 50%;
 > >      margin-left: -1em;
 > >   }           /*  ^  */
 >
 > Er, right.

 > > But that doesn't work either, because it takes the BLOCKQUOTE out of the
 > > flow, which AFAIK is not the intent of the challenge.
 >
 > I was replying to the challenge literally. The challenge says nothing about the
 > BLOCKQUOTE being in or out of flow. ;-)

But it's still not right since the element is posisioned relative to
the containing block which may be different from the canvas (which is what
challenge specifies).

This can be fixed with:

  BLOCKQUOTE {
     position: fixed;
     left: 50%;
     margin-left: -1em;
  }

(all properties should have a "fixed" value :-)

It's still not quite what the challenge intended, though. Best to
rephrase the challenge.

-h&kon
              Håkon Wium Lie                          cto °þe®ª