Re: Proposal: list-item-color

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:36:20 +0200 (MEST)
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Andy wrote:
> >> The list-item-color property
> >>

> >Seconded. There's no way to achieve what this does at present and its
> >something I've often wanted/needed to do to make web documents fit
> >within my company's style guidelines.
>
> It is by abusing markup, e.g.
>
>   <ul>
>
> and style li and span with different colors, but as I said that's abuse
> of markup and not all markup languages provide facilities like the span
> element to achieve that presentational effect.

Actually, the way CSS2 does it is by using generated text with a 'display'
of 'marker'. Such a 'marker' will automatically replace the list-item's
own marker, like so:

    li {display: list-style}  /* This is already default in HTML */

    /* Make an explicit counter for li, instead of the implicit one: */
    li:before {display: marker; counter-increment: li-no}
    ul li:before {content: counter(li-no, disc)}
    ol li:before {content: counter(li-no, decimal)}

This is more powerful than 'list-style-color' (a better name than
'list-item-color' I think), but admittedly harder to write.

('Display: marker' is not supported by any browser so far, I believe.)

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA