Re: CSS3 Syntax and Grammar considerations

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:18:15 +0200
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
* L. David Baron wrote:
>Why do you think the complexity CSS2 allows for future extensions is too
>much?

I don't see any good reason to allow at-rules or blocks as property
value or why selectors are optional, thus the grammar is hard to parse
for me. Stricter grammar eases writing a parser for that grammar.

>> Syntax delegation:
>>

>It's hard for me to tell which side you're advocating here.  However, I
>really don't find any of the possible solutions very elegant.

Neither do I. The best approach would be to define the grammar of
at-rules in the relevant modules and collect their syntax in the syntax
module. This would create a dependency for the Syntax module on possibly
all other modules.

regards,