Border/underline style atoms/spacing

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 19:04:50 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: bert@w3.org, chris@w3.org

   The current box model working drafts reads in section 6:

  Note: There is no control over the spacing of the dots and dashes, nor
  over the length of the dashes. Implementations are encouraged to
  choose a spacing that makes the corners symmetrical. Also, it is
  recommended that the dots are round, not square.

The note should also say, there there is no control over the size of the

The text module doesn't have such a note, but the same problem. I want
control over at least some of those properties. For example I want to
underline a heading with very loose lead dots, e.g.

instead of whatever the user agent decides, e.g. a very tight spacing

Why is there currently no way in CSS to specify size and spacing of
border-style properties?