RE: OT: selectors (RE: Excluding declarations from the cascade)

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:07:20 +0300
To: "Ian Hickson" <ianh@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

Selectors
> language, which was first released as part of CSS1 in 1996.

It is rather ironic; I can use "html:td/xed:area" in IE (with Jscript;
bliah) but I can't use
htm\:td > xed\:area (Damn thing does not understand '>'). Let's not even
get into complicated CSS selectors. Go figure...

> Selectors are designed with dynamic environments in mind, making them
very
> suitable for things like web browsers, which may try to match several
> hundred selectors against several thousand elements every time the
user
> moves the mouse. XPath is significantly harder to optimise for cases
like
> this, as might be expected as it was designed to be complete, not
dynamic.

Does this relate with all the API debates going on and the close
relationship  between XPath and DOM implementations?

Kindest regards,

Manos