RE: OT: selectors (RE: Excluding declarations from the cascade)

From: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:07:20 +0300
To: "Ian Hickson" <ianh@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

It is rather ironic; I can use "html:td/xed:area" in IE (with Jscript;
bliah) but I can't use
htm\:td > xed\:area (Damn thing does not understand '>'). Let's not even
get into complicated CSS selectors. Go figure...

> Selectors are designed with dynamic environments in mind, making them
> suitable for things like web browsers, which may try to match several
> hundred selectors against several thousand elements every time the
> moves the mouse. XPath is significantly harder to optimise for cases
> this, as might be expected as it was designed to be complete, not

Does this relate with all the API debates going on and the close
relationship  between XPath and DOM implementations?

Kindest regards,