Re:Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

From: Andrew McFarland <andrew.mcfarland@unite.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:19:19 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
At 01:36 25/10/01 +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:

<snip>
>Ok, I want to make a screen presentation,

Use absolute positioning.

It's only when you have to position something of arbitrary size on an
screen of arbitrary size that the problem becomes mucky.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently (particularly over the last
few hours) and the more I think about it the more I feel that solving the
arbitrary version of the problem is not the sort of thing that you should
try to do in HTML.

The only possible use for a solution of the arbitrary problem (as far as I
can see) is in centering a splash screen logo (which is actually the
context in which I have had to use the <table height="100%"> hack).

I'm not a browser developer, but I do program, and ISTM that building an
easy solution for the arbitrary problem into CSS would be very difficult;
certainly it would be far more difficult than the use would justify.

Andrew