Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:37:36 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Chris Casciano <10sball@placenamehere.com> wrote on 10/24/01 2:18:02 PM:
>> The user agent knows the width and height of the viewport.  Using
>> CSS, you can instruct the user agent to format elements such as HTML and BODY
>> to assume the entire width and height of the viewport.
>
>My first reaction would be that you couldn't but i can't say i've ever spent
>any effort looking into it before myself. After a few quick tests it seems
>that it takes both elements set to height:100% to get the body (which it the
>containing box that we are concerned with)

Chris, the only way to know is to read the specification, in this case at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ .  You may especially want to look at Section 9
Visual formatting model.  Please note that I am using CSS 2 as the basis for
this entire discussion, regardless of the capabilities of any browsers.