Re: Browse Button

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:01:25 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Charles Matner" <charles@matner.com>

> Hm, dunno, what does
>   input[file]
> select?

(Assuming you mean 'input[type=file]'.)

It should select the entire file-upload-field element IMO, which is
Mozilla and Opera's behaviour. IE/Win's choice, of selecting the text
part and the button part separately, is inconsistent, though sometimes
more useful.

> Are these form controls some type of replaced content?

W3 seem to avoid specifying anything about it. Probably quite wisely,
given that different platforms have wildly different ideas on what a
file upload interface should look like, and coming up with a standard
that could cover all that would be tricky. The alternative, specifying
that all browsers MUST have a filename field and a 'browse' button,
would upset many people.

> I don't remember the UI module talking about
> this case

Indeed, the 'Scope' section deliberately rules out consideration of what
file upload fields are like.

BTW anyone looking for a way to style file upload field parts separately
could do worse than to check out:

  http://and.doxdesk.com/software/js/upload.html

--
Andrew Clover