Re: "inline" elements in CSS2 box model, and "inline-block" in CSS3

On Sunday 21 October 2001 08:14, Tantek Celik wrote:
|   From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
|   Subject: Re: "inline" elements in CSS2 box model, and "inline-block" in
|   CSS3
|   Date: Thu, Oct 18, 2001, 6:50 PM
|   > Ok, yes, I think that amrgin: auto is rather confusing.
|   > May be., there should be something like
|   > vertical-align: center
|   > and
|   > horizontal-align: center | left | right
|   > I am interested here in blocks.
|
|   Yes, or perhaps 'block-align'.

'block-align' sounds better, in case we allow it to be aligned both in
vertical and horizontal directions :-)

Do you think that this also can be included in CSS 2.1, or we should wait
CSS3 (and include it in CSS3 BoxModel module, in the mean time)?

|   > Analyzing HTML generated by DTP packages (Quark, Adobe InDesign), I
|   > found that they use very easy approach - position everything in
|   > absolute coordinates.
|
|   Easy, but inflexible.  Positioning does not translate very well to
| different resolutions, different devices.  Achieving proper "liquid"
| layouts is much more challenging.

That's was my point. I am gald that you agree with it.
In my opinion, 'block-align'.and 'display: inline-block' fix all major
outstanding issues. There is also some work which should be done for Tables,
but even these two additions are quite important and clarify a lot.
So, what can be the next step?.. :-))

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)