RE: Background Properties to CSS3

Andy wrote:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >
> > * Juan Fabian wrote:
> > >1.0 The 'background-quantity' property:
> > >
> > >-------------------------------------------------
> > >       'background-quantity'
> > >-------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >Value: infinite | <integer> | inherit | initial
> > >Initial: infinite
> > >Applies to:  all elements
> > >Inherited:  no
> > >Percentages:  N/A
> > >Media:  visual
> > >
> > >If a background image is specified, the
> > >value of 'background-quantity' determines
> > >how many times the image will repeat.
> >
> > Hm, can you please provide some use case for this property? When does
> > anyone want to specify that some background image is only repeated e.g.
> > thrice?

I see no reason for a separate "background-quantity" attribute, when
background-repeat is so close to what's being proposed -- I'd suggest
extending that, rather than create new attributes, and then only if it's
"worthwhile"

> One example might be if you want to fade between 2 colours as the
> background of the page. On can of course, achieve this with tables or by
> introducing extra fixed/absolute <div> elements in the page structure.

or just using background-repeat?

> I'd like to extend background-repeat to have more horizontal and
> vertical control. Currently repeat, repeat-x and repeat-y play two
> roles: repeat makes the background image tile, and one can make an image
> repeat only horizontally or only vertically but *not* both horizontally
> and vertically without tiling.

My brain is getting twisted in knots here -- what is your distinction
between "repeating on both the x and y axis" and "tiling"? -- personally I'd
define the latter as being the former.

> Why would this be useful? It would let you do edge effects on boxes

Maybe some more random attributes would be better suited, to enhance the
current "border" properties (like allowing image data to be used, or even
transparency filters etc); so maybe a border-image (and a
border-image-north, border-image-northeast, border-image-east, etc)