Re: Scrollbar CSS representation

From: "Jens =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?=" <jens@unfaehig.de>

> "James Aylard" <webmaster@pixelwright.com> writes:
>
>>     A UA that does rely on scrollbars to display overflow content *should*
>> display scrollbars even when there is not enough content to overflow the
>> container, if the overflow property is set to "scroll" [1]. IE, for
>> instance, will create disabled scrollbars in such a case.
>
> And in the other case (overflow: hidden) it does not display
> scrollbars, but allows scrolling with cursor keys anyway? I have not
> tested this, but it would "logical".

No.  Only "overflow:scroll" and "overflow:auto" produce a scrolling
mechanism.  "overflow:hidden" does not.

Whether or not that scrolling mechanism has any visible component (e.g. a
scrollbar) is _completely_ UA dependent.

An element can be "overflow:scroll", not have any scrollbars, and still
respond to arrow keys to scroll its content.

Tantek