RE: The "display" property

The spec is wise for not stating if the image should be downloaded. It
would make no sense to download images that may never really display. On
the other hand, if the image's display attribute is going to change
dynamically, it should be the developers job to preload it or write code
that will dynamically preload it based to some user interaction (still,
before the image's display changes).
But that's just my opinion.

Kindest regards,

Manos