Re: Opacity 0-1: Bad Idea?

From: Andy <lordpixel@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:38:13 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
Dmitry Beransky wrote:

> Actually, I can see why Kevin might have thought so.  The spec says:
>
>    Any values outside the range 0.0 (fully transparent) to 1.0
>    (fully opaque) will be clipped to this range.
>
> using '0.0' and '1.0' instead of '0' and '1'. Strictly speaking, this
> implies that the precision is only to the first decimal position.

This is all very nice, but ultimately, it would be *much* clearer as a percentage:

opacity:100%; //yup. looks like fully opaque to me
opacity:10%; // that reads as pretty transparent to me

opacity:1; // well, might be 100% opaque I suppose
opacity:0.6; // is that just more than halfway transparent? or just less?

Of course, since everyone I've ever spoken to refers to the effect as
"transparency" and pretty much everything is 100% opaque by default and
one only needs to trot out the opacity attribute if one wants to make
something "somewhat transparent", I've never understood why its not

transparency:75%; //three quarters see through - now that makes sense...

No one says "that pane of glass in that window is semi-opaque". It would
always be "transparent" (or translucent!). Its just not English!

Since CSS3 is not final, now's the ideal time to change!

--
AndyT (lordpixel)