Re: Errata in CSS3 selectors

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 04:46:25 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
* Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> A UA that implements the XYZ profile of the spec implements everything
>>> that profile XYZ says it must implement.
>>
>> Section 12 reads:
>>
>>   "Each specification using W3C selectors must define the subset of W3C
>>    Selectors it allows and excludes, and describe the local meaning of
>>    all the components of that subset."
>>
>> At the risk of beeing clueless: where will the normative CSS Level 3
>> profile be defined?
>
>Probably in the CSS spec that "uses" W3C selectors, namely the "Syntax"
>spec.

Good point! ;-)

>> For now I see a CSS 2 conforming user agent MAY implement :first-line
>> and :first-letter and a CSS 3 conforming user agent MUST implement
>> them and I wonder why.
>
>Would you rather see it required, or not?

There are never enough gizmos for an author ;-) But to be serious,
speaking about specifications I really like to have a monochrome world;
if there are only MUST and MUST NOT in a spec., I can rely on all
features when dealing with conforming implementations. Since I see no
implementation problems for ::first-line and ::first-letter [1] I have
only one problem to require them - it's not consistent with CSS 2; I
dunno why they weren't anyway.

[1] if I take ::first-letter as selecting an optional punctuation class
    character followed by a single character that matches the Letter
    production in XML 1.0 or nothing if this production doesn't match.

Oh, there seems to be another typo in section 7.2:

  "The ::first-letter pseudo-element describes the first formetted
   letter of an element."

Should be '... formatted ...'

>> Additionally, the non-normative CSS Level 2 profile in the W3C
>> selectors draft says nothing about :first-letter and :first-line
>> beeing optional, why don't CSS Level 2 and the non-normative profile
>> match?
>
>Probably because someone made a mistake [...]

Now we are on the same page! :)

>[...] how many UAs implement the CSS1 spec, five years after its rise to
>REC status?

Dunno, there are so many UAs out there I've never heard about :)