vertical-align content-generated image?

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:11:15 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
#q:before {
	content: url(image.gif);
}

How do I vertical-align the image?
I can vertical-align its anonymous inline container,
but vertical-align does not inherit.

Or, how does one put a border on the image?
One can put a border around its inline container,
but that border doesn't quite trace the edges of
the image.

Or, how do I get a colored background behind the image?
I can 'background' its anonymous inline container,
but the colored canvas doesn't line up with the image.

I can't figure out how to address this image, yet
I'm quite convinced I should be able to.

Anyone care enlighten me?