Re: first-word pseudo-element

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 03:16:49 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
* Ian Hickson wrote:
>> [...]
>>   Pseudo-elements may only appear once in the sequence of simple
>>   selectors that represents the subjects of the selector.
>> [...]
>>
>> Why?
>
>What does
>
>   ::selection::first-line::before { }
>
>...select?

Generated content before the first line of the current user selection.
I don't know whether I should put a smiley here...

>Basically, the reason for this restriction is that if you are allowed to
>combine them, you have to define exactly what every combination of pseudo-
>elements means.

Why do you think so? If it is defined what each pseudo-element selects
and the following pseudo-element applies to this selection, I don't see
any problem.

>Plus, it's an implementation nightmare.

Really? I think it's a lot harder to implement ::selection itself,
consider

  em::selection { }

with

                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Although one can describe this selection through a set of XPointer
location-sets as you can the construct above.

>> [...]
>>   Pseudo-elements names are case-insensitive.
>> [...]
>>
>> This statement is confusing, cascading style sheets are completly
>> case-insensitive; only things out of the scope of CSS may be
>> case-sensitive. I suggest to remove this statement.
>
>Pseudo-element names are case-insensitive as opposed to normal element
>names which (in XML) are not.

Because both are called "element"? Huu... This would make greater sense
if element selectors were named element selectors. The term "type
selector" is a nightmare; elements don't represent a certain "type" in
the document; I really like to see that name changed...

Btw. any thoughts to add XML Schema Datatype selectors to CSS? There the
term would make sense to me...