Re: first-word pseudo-element

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * fantasai wrote:
>>> What does
>>>
>>>   elem:not(elem::first-line)::first-line { }
>>>
>>> select? Do typographic pseudo-classes and -elements apply to concat'ed
>>> element content or to the context of the current selection?
>>
>> I believe you're only allowed to take a psuedo-element of the
>> selected element.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#pseudo-elements
>
> [...]
>   Pseudo-elements may only appear once in the sequence of simple
>   selectors that represents the subjects of the selector.
> [...]
>
> Why?

What does

   ::selection::first-line::before { }

...select?

Basically, the reason for this restriction is that if you are allowed to
combine them, you have to define exactly what every combination of pseudo-
elements means. Plus, it's an implementation nightmare.

> [...]
>   Pseudo-elements names are case-insensitive.
> [...]
>
> This statement is confusing, cascading style sheets are completly
> case-insensitive; only things out of the scope of CSS may be
> case-sensitive. I suggest to remove this statement.

Pseudo-element names are case-insensitive as opposed to normal element
names which (in XML) are not.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'