Re: first-word pseudo-element

From: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:53:04 +0200
To: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
CC: "Peter S. Linss" <peter@linss.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Tantek Celik wrote:

>> All text/visual properties should apply to all languages and writing system.
>
> I strongly disagree.
>
> It is reasonable to expect that different languages and writing systems will
> have different layout/typographic effects in common usage (yes, even before
> the web).
>
> Therefore, it is far more useful to pursue properties even if they only
> apply to a few languages, than to limit properties to some lowest common
> denominator across hundreds of languages.
>
> 'word-spacing' may only apply to some languages, just as 'ruby' layout may
> only apply to some languages.  There are other examples of properties which
> only make sense in a few languages (which happen to be non-Latin) in the
> recent CSS3 Text Module.
>
> We should seek to represent the individual stylistic/typographical richness
> of different languages and writing systems rather than attempting to force
> them all to fit one mold.

Are you saying that I should not be able to use a ruby box model with
latin characters just because I like the effect it brings ? Or that I
should not use grid layout because it is mainly made for ideographic
writing systems ?

Let's make features that everybody can use, as core feature of his own
language/writing system, or as a nice rendering extension coming from
other cultures.

My .02 euros...

</Daniel>