Re: first-word pseudo-element

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:25:00 +0200
To: glazman@netscape.com (Daniel Glazman)
Cc: andrew.robertson@capitaes.co.uk, www-style@w3.org
* Daniel Glazman wrote:
>>Would there be any benefit in adding a :first-word pseudo element to format
>>the first word of a paragraph, to the CSS3 spec?
>>
>It is an old question, posted in this mailing-list ona  regular basis.
>My answer, posted also on a regular basis, is the following one : what
>is a word ?

That's script-dependant as is the word-spacing property and general
white-space handling in e.g. XHTML. We could have a simple definition
for ::first-word like: "everything before the first application of
word-spacing", so yes, it's a problem to be script-dependant but this
problem already existed in CSS Level 1 and does exist in XHTML and so
on, so I see no problem to add such a pseudo-element. User-agents could
be made be free to implement this feature to a distinct range of script
families (like "Latin").

I think ::first-word is a very common styling element and should be part
of CSS as ::first-line and ::first-letter already are.