Re: first-word pseudo-element

From: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:18:25 -0700
To: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>, andrew.robertson@capitaes.co.uk
From: glazman@netscape.com (Daniel Glazman)
Subject: Re: first-word pseudo-element
Date: Thu, May 17, 2001, 5:56 AM

> andrew.robertson@capitaes.co.uk wrote:
>
>>Would there be any benefit in adding a :first-word pseudo element to format
>>the first word of a paragraph, to the CSS3 spec?
>>
> It is an old question, posted in this mailing-list ona  regular basis.
> My answer, posted also on a regular basis, is the following one : what
> is a word ? In our western languages and writings, it is quite easy (but
> not always) to determine it.
> Now think of asian languages and writing systems, sometimes without
> punctuation, or think of a text mixing writing systems, ...
>
> </Daniel>

Oh Daniel, no need to make it so difficult.  We already have the concept of
word in CSS1.

This definition could work for example:

  The :first-word pseudo-element denotes all characters in an element from
its :first-letter up to and including the character after which
'word-spacing' is first applied.

Tantek

It is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.   microsoft.com/mac/ie/