Re: CSS 2: Table Cells and the "line-height" Property

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:42:32 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
To: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Tantek Celik wrote:

> How about we simply define the behavior of 'normal' to mean
> "vertically shrink wrap the element", which is the traditional HTML
> presentation.

This is a change from the spec, a change from existing RELEASED
implementations that are within the spec, and a change to interpretations
of the spec that have been publicly discussed for YEARS in www-style.

Now is NOT an appropriate time to be suggesting such drastic changes.

> Why not make the 'normal' value useful _and_ kindler/gentler to HTML
> authors?

The spec is already backwards compatible with all the common cases!!!

The current text of the spec (taking into account my proposed errata)
is loose enough to be interpreted in a largely backwards-compatible
manner AS WELL as the strict, self-consistent manner described by
David and implemented in Netscape 6.

See also:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Mar/0148.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Mar/0177.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Mar/0181.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2001Mar/0183.html

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'