Re: SAC and @charset

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:51:38 -0500
To: Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Robin Berjon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yet another SAC question. I note that there is no charset callback defined
> in SAC. Granted, this is something that is more likely to interest the
> actual parser than the sink but it could still be of relevance to the
> latter under certrain circumstances. For instance, if I were to translate
> CSS to another style language (say XSL) using SAC I might want to use the
> same charset in the output.
>
> Is there any reason that I haven't seen that justifies the absence of a
> charset(charset) callback ?

startDocument receives an InputSource and
InputSource.getEncoding()
  Get the character encoding for a byte stream or URI.

I guess a charset callback could be useful but keep in mind that it might not
always represent the real encoding of the CSS file, depending on the
charset parameter on the text/css mimetype (actually, the rfc2318 doesn't say
anything about that. might it should).

Philippe