RE: inter-area text-flow

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Dave  J Woolley wrote:

>> (sort of like newspaper columns)? perhaps there is and i'm just
>> ignorant of it, but if there isn't i think it would be an excellent
>> style enhancer.
>
> It is such an obvious _want_ that I have to assume that it was not
> done because it complicates the user agent too much; I suspect it
> makes progressive display and size calculations difficult. I cannot
> believe the CSS designers never thought of it.

The working group has *often* considered this problem. We have yet to
see a proposal that works well.

We welcome more proposals, but please do not take any criticisms
personally. All the 'obvious' ideas have already been put forward and
have been shot down several times. ;-)

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'