Re: New Working Draft published: CSS3 module: Color

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:07:32 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
To: Jonas Sicking <sicking@bigfoot.com>
cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Jonas Sicking wrote:

>>  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color
>
> What is the purpose of the color parameter to attr(X,color)? I would've
> guessed it's the fallback color in case the attribute dosn't contain a valid
> color, but the WD says that the declaration should be ignored in that case

The working group has been throwing this extended attr() syntax about in
discussions and it seems it finally got itself into a published working
draft before anyone defined it. ;-)

The proposed extended syntax of attr() is:

   attr( <attribute name>, <type> )

...so, for example, the idea is that one could do something like:

   plank { height: attr(y, cm); width: attr(x, cm);
           background: attr(tone, color) attr(texture, url); }

This syntax solves the problem with allowing attr() everywhere, where
because you don't have any typing information from the document tree, you
cannot determine what "55" or "#123456" or "wood" means.

HTH,
--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'