Re: SAC getParserVersion and versioning of CSS3 modules

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:48:23 +0100
To: Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Robin Berjon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> following the alpha release of CSS::SAC, Bjoern Hoehrmann kindly made many
> remarks to me one of which concerns what SAC parsers should return for
> getParserVersion. The existing implementations seem to return "CSSx", but
> the SAC Note says that it ought to be an uri pointing to the spec
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSSx). A discussion on this list a few months ago
> concluded that the latter was the right thing to do.

I forgot to update the web site. this is done with sac 1.2. flute 1.2 contains
also some corrections.

> However, how this is to work for CSS3 is unclear.
> Having been modularized, CSS3 no longer appears to have a single uri (or has it ?).
> Will SAC need to add getSelectorParserVersion, getNamespaceParserVersion,
> getRubyParserVersion, etc ? Or will a parser only be able to report level 2
> conformance (using whatever uri) if it is conformant with all modules ?

I didn't look the CSS3 drafts yet but, IMHO, we will need one URI/module since
you can't expect all CSS parsers to support the grammar of an unsupported module.
A CSS parser who doesn't support the color module might not want to parse
a @ rule color profile for example. I guess we will also need a common URI for
CSS3.
getParserVersion returns a string for the moment. A solution could
be to add a String[] getSupportedModules (or something equivalent).
Let's wait for CSS3 and see what is needed.

Philippe