Re: css3 :nth-child() WD

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On a completly other topic: I think the :empty pseudo need some
> definition of what is considered empty. Which of the following
> elements are considered empty?
>
> <E>   </E>
> <E xml:space="preserve">   </E>

These two are (typically) the same, since "xml:space" takes only two
options, "preserve" and "whatever the UA wants to do", and the second one
almost certainly has to be interpreted as "preserve" in the case where the
UA wants to implement the CSS 'white-space' property.

> <E><!-- comment --></E>

empty.

> <E><?myPI?></E>

empty.

> <!ENTITY emptyEntity "">
> <E>&emptyEntity;</E>

empty.

> <!ENTITY wsEntity "   ">
> <E>&wsEntity;</E>

This (and the first two cases) are debatable, and rely on the definition
of "significant white space". I would posit that they are empty, even
though 'white-space' may be set to 'pre'. (Note that the answer must not
be different depending on the value of 'white-space' since that would
imply the cascade was performed twice, which is a no-no.)

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'