Token question

From: Eric Meyer <emeyer@theopalgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:50:31 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
know exactly what constitute tokens in CSS.  Not being a programmer,
the specification doesn't make it easy to find out so I figured
somebody here could tell me.
    Basically, the question was: "I wrote 'h1 {color: /* tan */
#FFCC66;}' and it was ignored by my browser.  Why?"  So I went and
looked up comments, and discovered that they may "appear anywhere
between other tokens" (CSS2:4.1.1).  So should the browser have
ignored what the user wrote?  Is a declaration the smallest token, or
are property and value separate tokens?  Inquiring minds want to
know...

--
Eric Meyer
Internet Applications Manager          e-mail: emeyer@theopalgroup.com