Re: several messages

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:10:26 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@appcomp.com>, Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>, "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> >
> > By the way, the type attribute of the xml-stylesheet PI is required. See
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/.
> No, it is not. See:
>    http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/errata

Sheesh! Well spotted. I was unaware of that 'erratum' and would have
objected if I had known about it.  It seems to have been added without
consideration of the implementations which had faithfully implemented
the original Recommendation and which thus require this

Making it optional means that editing tools have no way to figure out if
a stylesheet is CSS or XSL other than by attemptig to resolve the URL.
This is not a good idea.