Re: several messages

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:10:26 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@appcomp.com>, Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>, "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:
> >
> > By the way, the type attribute of the xml-stylesheet PI is required. See
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/.
>
> No, it is not. See:
>    http://www.w3.org/1999/06/REC-xml-stylesheet-19990629/errata

Sheesh! Well spotted. I was unaware of that 'erratum' and would have
objected if I had known about it.  It seems to have been added without
consideration of the implementations which had faithfully implemented
the original Recommendation and which thus require this
pseudo-attribute.

Making it optional means that editing tools have no way to figure out if
a stylesheet is CSS or XSL other than by attemptig to resolve the URL.
This is not a good idea.

--
Chris