RE: May have to do with "column layout" WAS:RE: Proposal of alternative to CSS3 box-sizing property

I thought we where having this discussion with positioned block elements
in mind :-)

> > thanks to that
> > "auto" that occurs when "width:50% outside" cannot be interpreted.
> >
> > Allow me to change my previous proposal to something like this:
> >
> > .myClass{
> >  width:50%;
> >  width-include:border(10px), margin(5%);
> > }
> >
> > This way, border and margin width will only be interpreted if
> > width-include is known.
>
> And legacy UAs will display the blocks positioned correctly
> (perhaps!), but
> without their margins, borders, or padding.
>
> So, which is more important: Position? (your proposal)
> Decorations? (like
> borders, margins, padding -- my proposal)

There is no answer to that.

> I submit that proper position without the intended
> decorations can be very
> confusing. Consider two columns of text. Without some sort of
> gutter to
> separate them when arranged adjacently, one cannot tell where
> one ends and
> the other begins.

Agreed. So, back to my original question, can the Multi-column layout be
used (or modified) to solve this?
Maybe that's where we should focus on coming posts in this thread.

Kindest regards,

Manos