multiple declarations-blocks in style attribute

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:48:00 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Cc: bert@w3.org
Hi,

   The grammar of the current proposal [1] is as follows:

  inline-stylesheet
    : S* [ declarations |
           declarations-block |
           inline-ruleset* |
           stylesheet ]
    ;

  declarations
    : declaration [ ';' S* declaration ]*
    ;

  declarations-block
    : '{' S* declarations '}' S*
    ;

  inline-ruleset
    : [ pseudo* S* [ ',' S* pseudo* S* ]* ]?
      declarations-block
    ;

This grammar

  * allows multiple declarations-blocks because the pseudo
    elements/attributes are optional, e.g.

    style='{color: red} {background-color: green}'

    though they will be recognized as different tokens. Shouldn't the
    grammar allow just multiple declarations-blocks, i.e.
    declarations-block* for the inline-stylesheet production rule? Or is
    this not intended?  I hope it is, this eases it to concatenate
    multiple style attributes in HTML Tidy :-)

  * allows complete stylesheets, e.g.

    is the current element considered the root element when matching W3C
    selectors? What specifity do they have?

    This leads also to the fact, that one may use

    How are those imports to be handled by user agents? Same goes for
    @media, @page, etc.pp.

    To me it doesn't make sense to add the stylesheet token to the
    allowed tokens in inline-stylesheets.

  * doesn't mention that comments are allowed between tokens. The CSS
    Levle 2 grammar doesn't, too, but it states it in the normative part
    of the specification. I suggest to add some note that they are
    valid.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css-style-attr-20010305

regards,